Today I am here with a recipe for perfect whole roasted chicken with Indian spices. We love chicken and my daughter has been demanding for whole roasted chicken for a long time. In fact her initial demand was whole turkey during Thanksgiving, but somehow she settled for whole chicken. Finally this weekend, Hubby got medium sized chicken from super market and I roasted it in oven and it came out perfect - juicy and tender. I just followed my own recipe for the marinade while for the cooking / roasting time followed the instructions given on the package (in which the chicken was packed). Never thought roasting a whole chicken would be this easy.
Roasted Whole Chicken with Indian spicesEasy recipe for perfect, juicy, tender flavorful whole roasted chicken.
Prep time (includes marinating time 6hrs): Cooking time: Total time:
Yield: 1 whole roasted chicken
To Marinate :
- Whole Chicken : 1.75 Kgs / 3.86 lb
- Yogurt : 3 tablespoons
- Ginger garlic paste : 3 tablespoons
- Lemon Juice : 4-5 tablespoons
- Turmeric Powder : 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder : 2 tablespoons
- Red chilli Powder : 1 teaspoons
- Cumin Powder : 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder : 2 teaspoons
- Pepper Powder : 1 teaspoon
- Salt : To taste
Other Ingredients :
- Baker's twine : as needed
- Oil, as needed
- Melted Butter, as needed to baste the chicken
- Clean the chicken well. Remove giblets, if there are any. Make slits in the chicken so that the marinade penetrates well and imparts flavor to the chicken.
- Make a paste of all the ingredients listed under 'to marinate' and apply on the chicken well on all sides. Then cover the chicken and place it in the refrigerator and allow it to marinate for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Keep the chicken in room temperature for at least 30 minutes before starting the roasting process.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F /190 C /170 C Fan / Gas Mark 5. Prepare the roasting pan by lining with silver foil, for easier clean up. Then grease it with oil.
- Remove the excess marinade from the chicken, apply oil all over the chicken generously and tie the legs of the chicken with bakers twine. Tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken as there are chances for the tip to get burnt. Place the chicken carefully in the prepared roasting pan.
- Keep the roasting pan in middle shelf of the oven. Cook for about 45 minutes. Then carefully turn the chicken to the other side and cook for another 30 minutes. Then turn the chicken (to initial position) then bake for another 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the juices run clear when the deepest part of the flesh is pierced with thin skewer.
- Remove the chicken from oven, baste it with melted butter and let it stand for 10 minutes. Then slice the chicken and serve.
- I used the chicken with skin. The skin on the chicken will ensure it stays juicy.
- Take care while handling raw chicken. Important points to note are; Wash hands thoroughly after handling; do not place raw chicken near cooked food.
- Adjust the spice level according to your personal taste.
- Cooking time in oven varies with the weight of the chicken. It is 20 minutes per 500 gm plus extra 20 minutes. So calculate the cooking time accordingly.
- If you have a roasting pan with rack, then there will not be a need to turn the chicken at regular intervals.
- You can make a bed of vegetables then place the chicken on it and do the roasting. The juices from the chicken will give a nice flavor to these vegetables and these roasted vegetables can be served with the chicken.