Today I am here with Cumin cookies recipe. These are cumin flavored salt cookies that are made in Indian bakery style. These cookies are easy to make and are egg free. The ingredients are mixed and the dough is rolled into a log and chilled for about 30 minutes and then the log is sliced and the slices are baked for about 15 minutes. When the cookies are cooled, they are ready. No other special technique is required for this cookie. They make a perfect combination for tea.
Cumin Cookies without egg (Egg-less Jeera biscuits)This recipe of Indian bakery style cumin flavored salt cookies (egg-less) is one of the easy to follow recipes. Prep time (including chilling time of 30mins): Baking time: Total time:
Yield: about 24 cookies
- Cumin : 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Unsalted Butter : 1/2 cup (room temperature)
- Powdered Sugar : 1/4 cup
- Salt : 1/2 teaspoon
- All Purpose Flour : 1 1/4 cup
- Milk : 1 tablespoon
- Dry roast cumin seeds till a slight aroma comes. Take care not to burn it.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar well. Then add salt and mix well.
- Add flour little by little and keep mixing, now add roasted cumin and a tablespoon of milk and mix till the dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into a log, cover it with parchment paper and roll it to get smooth edges in the sides and then keep it in freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 F/ 170 C / 150 Fan / Gas Mark 3. Prepare the cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- Now take the log and then slice it about 1/4" thick. Arrange the slices in the prepared cookie sheet and then bake for about 15 - 18 minutes till the edges are slightly golden.
- Let it cool and store it in airtight container.
- If you don't like to bite into whole cumin in the cookies, you can gently crush them and add to the cookie dough.
- The baking time varies with each oven. Also based on the thickness of the slices the baking time will vary. My cookies were ready in about 17 minutes.
- The cookies will be slightly soft when taken out of the oven. But on cooling they will get the right texture.