Today I am here with a simple healthy drink made with finger millet flour/ Ragi popularly known as Ragi malt. This version is the sweeter one and I will be posting the savory version too shortly. This drink can be prepared in few minutes. I have used Jaggery to sweeten this, as it is healthy natural sweetener and also added few chopped almonds, cashews. When I was a kid, I have seen my grandma soak the whole ragi, let it germinate, then dry it and powder it and prepare ragi malt with it. That is the best flour to prepare Ragi malt. But here I have used store bought ragi flour to prepare this, if you have home made ragi flour you can use it too.
Ragi Malt RecipeHealthy drink made with finger millet (ragi) flour. This is the sweeter version
Prep time: Cook time: Total time:
Yield: 1 cup (1 serving)
Ingredients required :
Ragi Flour, 1 Tablespoon
Water, 1/4 cup
Milk, 3/4 cup
Jaggery, 1 Tablespoon
Cardamom Powder, 1/8 teaspoon
Chopped nuts & dry fruits of your choice, as needed
- Dry roast 1 tablespoon of ragi flour in low flame till raw smell is gone. Add this flour to a small bowl, then add 1/4 cup of room temperature water and mix well without lumps.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottomed pan, add the powdered jaggery, mix well till it dissolves. Then add the above prepared ragi mixture to it and mix well
- Cook in low flame, continuously stirring and scrapping the bottom, the mixture will start to thicken in 2-3 minutes.
- Add the powdered cardamom, mix well and turn off the heat.
- If desired, add some chopped nuts and dry fruits and serve it warm.
- I have used 1 Tablespoon of ragi flour, as I like it in a drink consistency (i.e.,slightly runny). You can add another 1/2 to 1 Tablespoon if you want it in porridge consistency
- I have used 1/4 cup of water and 3/4 cup of milk, you can use all milk or alter the ratio as per your preference.
- I have used jaggery for sweetness, you can use palm jaggery, sugar or any other sweetener you like.
Recipe developed, cooked and clicked by Divya Prakash