After all the festival cooking, now I am back to normal cooking mode. Today I am going to share Kadai Chicken Recipe. It is a popular dish served in the restaurants but it is very easy to make at home too. It is a spicy chicken curry made with fresh spices and capsicum and is usually cooked in a wok(kadai), hence the name kadai chicken. Depending on your preference, you can adjust the consistency of the dish- dry, semi-gravy or as gravy. I made semi-gravy type of Kadai Chicken but in the picture it looks dry. It can be served with any Indian flat bread (roti,chappathi, naan, kulcha) or with mild pulao.
Kadai Chicken RecipeRestaurant style chicken curry with fresh spices and capsicum.
Prep time: Cook time: Total time:
Ingredients required :
Chicken(boneless), 1 lb
Lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon
Onions - chopped, about 1 cup
Green chillies, 2 nos (slit)
Bell pepper/ Capsicum, about 1/2 cup
Tomatoes - chopped, about 2 cups
Ginger (grated), 1 tbs
Garlic, 5-6 pods(finely minced)
Oil, 1 Tablespoon
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Cloves, 3 nos
Cinnamon, 1 small stick
Cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder, 1 teaspoon
Garam masala powder, 1 teaspoon
Crushed kasoori methi, 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Cilantro, handful to garnish
- Wash, clean and cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Marinate the chicken with little salt, turmeric and lemon juice and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok, add cumin seeds and when they crack, add cloves, cinnamon and fry for a minute. Then add chopped onions and green chillies and fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Then add bell pepper, grated ginger and garlic and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes, turn mushy.
- Then add Cumin powder, Turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and mix well and add the chicken pieces, add 1/4 cup of water, required salt and cover and cook in medium heat till the chicken is done.
- Then simmer in low heat till the required consistency is reached.
- Add kasoori methi and cook for another minute.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- I have used boneless chicken, you can use chicken with bone if you want too.
- You can increase the quantity of water added to get the dish in gravy consistency.
- I have used chopped tomatoes. You can puree the tomato and use too.
- If you like the capsicum to be crisper, then you can add fry it and keep it aside and later you can add it in step 6 and cook.
- You can use pressure cooker to cook this curry too.
Recipe developed, cooked and clicked by Divya Prakash