Today I am going to share Potato Murukku Recipe here. This is a easy to make murukku, which is made with potatoes. Boiled and mashed potatoes are used in place of urad dal or ground roasted gram flour in this recipe. The murukku has slight potato flavor. It is a quick and easy to make murukku variety. This weekend I had guests at home and I was planning to make Potato Croquettes as appetizer and I had boiled the potatoes as well. But when I started cooking other dishes I almost lost track of time and ended up skipping the appetizer. So I had boiled potatoes with me and was thinking what to make with them. Then my murukku mania struck me and I decided to make Murukku using those potatoes. Murukku came out well and my kids loved it too.
What are the ingredients needed?
Boiled and mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup
Rice flour, 1 1/2 cup
Chilli powder, 3/4 teaspoon (optional)
Cumin seeds, 3/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida, 1/4 teaspoon
Butter, 2 teaspoons
Water, as needed to knead
Salt to taste
Oil, to deep fry
How to make Potato Murukku?
- In a bowl, add mashed potatoes, rice flour, chilli powder, cumin seeds, asafoetida, salt , butter and knead into a smooth dough adding required water. Dough should not be too dry or too loose either way wont get the perfect crunchy murukku.
- In the mean time, heat oil and using murukku press/ chakli maker, put the required nozzle (I used star, you can use the one you prefer) and make murukku swirls in the back of the slotted spoon or thick plastic sheet (apply oil) and keep it ready. When the oil is ready, deep fry the prepared muruk swirls in medium to low heat. Turn them once or twice and when the sizzling stops, remove the murukku from the oil. Repeat the process using rest of the dough to prepare murukkus.
- Drain excess oil. Let the murukku reach room temperature. Then store in air tight container.
- I have used store bought rice flour. If available, you can use home made rice flour too.
- I boiled 2 potatoes and mashed them well without any lumps and used it. You can also grind the boiled tomatoes in mixie (without adding water) into a fine paste and use.
- The ratio of boiled potato and rice flour is 1:2. For 1 cup of mashed potato, we have to use 2 cup of rice flour.
- I have added chilli powder for taste. If you prefer you can skip it too. Alternatively you can grind green chillies into a fine paste and use too.
- I have added cumin seeds. You can add sesame seeds or even carom seeds(Omam/Ajwain) too.
- I have used star shaped nozzle in the murukku press. You can use any other nozzle of your choice too.
- The temperature of oil used for deep frying is very important. It should never go high or reduce.
If interested check out the other murukku varieties, I have posted