Today I am here with Corn flour halwa recipe. It is also known as Karachi Halwa. As the name suggests, it is made using corn flour/ Corn starch. It is very easy to make and it takes only few minutes to make this halwa. I wanted to post a halwa recipe for Diwali and suddenly this recipe came to my mind and I started googling and narrowed to this one. This halwa came out perfect and my kids liked it so much that they named it 'jelly sweet'. Usually my kids do not eat anything if it is sticky. My son avoids eating payasam itself. I was afraid about that when I made this sweet. But this halwa is not sticky and can be cut into slices. The texture, color and taste everything was good that kids loved it. Just the way they like it.
What are the ingredients needed?
Corn Flour, 1/2 cup
Sugar, 1 1/2 cups
Water, 1 cup+ 1 1/2 cups
Ghee, 2 Tablespoons
Cashews, about 1/4 cup (chopped finely)
Cardamom Powder, 1/8 teaspoon
Orange food coloring, as needed
How to make Corn flour Halwa?
- Mix Corn Flour with 1 1/2 cups of water along with orange food color. Mix well such that there are no lumps.
- In the mean time, fry chopped cashew nuts in a tablespoon of ghee and set it aside.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, add sugar with 1 cup of water and turn on the heat. First the sugar will dissolve and then it will start boiling. There is no need for any string consistency. Boil till the sugar solution turns sticky.
- Now turn the heat to low and start adding the prepared corn flour solution little by little and keep stirring. Continue to stir and take care to avoid forming lumps. Also make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.
- It will start to turn glossy and then it will thicken . Continue to stir till you get the thick glossy halwa like texture. Now add ghee and cardamom powder and keep stirring.
- Once it is thick and the halwa comes together and starts leaving the sides of the pan and add the fried cashews and turn off the heat.
- Take a plate or pan grease it with ghee and keep it ready. As the halwa is ready, immediately transfer it to this plate. Let it set for an hour or two. Then take a knife apply ghee to it and cut it into slices.
- I have used orange food coloring. You can use any other color too.
- Instead of cardamom powder, you can use flavored essence too. I once tried with vanilla extract.
- Use non stick pan (if available) to prepare this halwa.
- Instead of cashews, you can use other chopped nuts too. But be sure to chop it bite sized.
- Once the stove is turned off, immediately transfer the halwa to a greased plate and spread it well. It will start setting immediately.
- Slice the halwa when it is set well and completely cooled.
- Store it in refrigerator. It will stay well up to a week.
- The ratio for Corn flour to Sugar is 1:3. For 1 cup of corn flour you need 3 cups of sugar. Similarly corn flour to water ration is 1:3. 1 cup of corn flour has to be mixed with 3 cups of water. For the sugar syrup, add the water equal to the 2 times the quantity of corn flour.