Today I am here with Chicken Pulao recipe. It is a easy to make flavorful one pot meal. This chicken Pulao is made with coconut milk. This is a mildly spiced Pulao, so I prefer to serve it with a spicy side dish. I have already posted my Chicken Biryani recipe (easy pressure cooker version). That is my go to recipe whenever I have to make biryani in a jiffy. Whenever I want to make something different I make this Chicken Pulao. These are the few differences of this Pulao from the usual biryani. It is made with coconut milk and also no tomatoes are added to this Pulao. Also I use green chillies for Pulao without adding red chilli powder.
Chicken Pulao Recipe
Chicken Pulao made with coconut milk and mild spices in a pressure cooker. A Flavorful one pot meal.Prep time (includes chicken marinating time) : Cook time: Total time:
Yield: 3 - 4 servings
To Marinate:Chicken : 1/2 lb
Yogurt : 2 Tablespoons
Lemon Juice : 2 teaspoons (optional)
Ginger garlic paste :1 tablespoon
Garam masala powder : 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder : 1/4 teaspoon
Salt : to taste
Other Ingredients:Basmati Rice : 2 cups
Onion : 1 No
Green chillies : 2-3 Nos
Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Fennel seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Cloves : 3-4 Nos
Cinnamon stick : 1 small 1" long piece
Cardamom Pods : 3-4 Nos
Bay leaf : 1 No
Coconut milk : 1 cup
Mint leaves : 1 handful
Cilantro : 1 handful
- Marinate chicken with ingredients listed under to marinate and keep it aside for atleast 30 minutes.
- Wash and drain extra water and keep the rice aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In pressure cooker, heat oil and add fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf and fry for a minute. Then add chopped onions and green chillies and fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add the chopped mint leaves and cilantro and fry for another minute.
- Then add the marinated chicken along with the marinade and cook till the chicken is half cooked. The chicken will release water.
- Add coconut milk and water (about 1 cup) to this and check the salt and add as needed, mix well and pressure cook with weight. I cooked in medium to low heat, waited till the pressure to build and the valve to raise and then turned off the heat. It took about 6 -7 minutes. Didn't wait till the whistle.
- Wait till the pressure is released and gently fluff up the rice and serve it warm.
- I used boneless chicken. But you can use chicken with bone.
- Adding lemon juice in the marinade is optional. You can add or skip it.
- I used canned coconut milk for making this Pulao. You can use fresh coconut milk too.
- If you wish, you can replace the coconut milk with water.
- Adjust the number of green chillies as per your heat tolerance level.
- Alternative method for cooking the Pulao; In the step 6, after adding all the ingredients and mixing well, you can close the lid and cook without adding the weight. When the steam starts to come out, put the weight and cook for 5 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Since coconut milk is added, there are chances for the pulao to get burned at the bottom. Take care of that.
- Also when you open the lid, immediately don't mix it. There are chances that the rice will break. So let it cool slightly and then gently fluff it up.
- Serve it with any spicy chicken curry, Kodi Vepudu (Andhra style chicken fry), Cilantro Chicken, Kadai Chicken or other side dish of your choice.