I am sharing Chicken Sukka Varuval Recipe today. It is one of the famous dishes in Chettinad restaurants and whenever we go there, we will either order Chicken Chukka or Mutton Chukka. This restaurant style recipe can be easily prepared at home. After being in abroad, we don't get the luxury to visit restaurants as we would in India, had to try replicating at home. It came out very well and everyone enjoyed. This Chicken sukka is a dry fry made with boneless chicken and freshly ground spices.
What are the ingredients needed?
Boneless Chicken, 1 lb
Oil, 2 teaspoons
Cumin seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Onion, 1 medium sized
Red chillies, 2 nos
Garlic, 4-5 cloves (finely minced)
Ginger, about 1 inch piece (grated)
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Turmeric Powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Coriander powder, 2 teaspoon
Chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Cilantro, to garnish
For spice powder
Whole pepper corns, 1 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Cloves, 2 nos
Cinnamon, 1 small piece
Cardamom, 2 nos
Poppy seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
How to make chicken sukka at home?
- First dry roast the ingredients listed for spice powder, then grind it into fine powder.
- Wash, clean and cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add cumin seeds and fry till it sputters, then add finely chopped onions, red chillies, curry leaves along with ginger and garlic and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Then add chicken, along with turmeric powder and salt to taste, mix well. Cover and cook it in medium heat till the chicken is cooked. Do not have to add water now.
- Now add chilli powder, coriander powder, ground spice powder and mix well, now bring the heat to low and cook till all the liquid evaporates and fry comes to required consistency. Please makes sure to stir the chicken, scrapping the pan in between to get it cooked evenly and to avoid getting burned at the bottom.
- Then transfer it to serving bowl, garnish it with cilantro and serve it warm.
- Chicken does not require any marination.
- Depending on the required spice level, increase or decrease the chilli powder.
- Instead of red chillies, you can use green chillies too.