Today I am sharing here a easy recipe using Capsicum- Capsicum Sambar. Sambar is a staple in South Indian cooking and we use different vegetables for making it. Today I used Capsicum to make sambar. I used the simple method of making it with homemade sambar podi. Coming to the recipe,
What are the ingredients needed?
Capsicum, 1 large
Toor dal, 1/2 cup
Tomatoes, 1-2 nos (chopped)
Garlic, 4-5 pods
Tamarind, a small ball of 2" dia
Oil, 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek, 1/2 teaspoon
Onion, 1 no(sliced)
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Asafoetida, a pinch
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Sambar Powder, 2 Tablespoons
Salt to taste
Cilantro, to garnish
How to make Capsicum Sambar?
- In a pressure cooker, wash and add toor dal with 1.5 cups of water , chopped tomatoes and peeled garlic and pressure cook it till its done. Let the pressure release. Mash them well and keep it ready.
- Soak tamarind in warm water. Extract the pulp and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek and fry for a minute.
- Then add onions, curry leaves and fry till onions turn transclucent.
- Now add the diced capsicum and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Then add asafoetida, turmeric powder and sambar powder and mix well and fry for another minute.
- To this add the cooked and mashed dal, mix well and then add the extracted tamarind juice and mix well. Now add required water, salt mix well and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it warm.
- I have used green capsicum. You can use any other colour capsicum too.
- I have used homemade sambar powder for this sambar. You can use store bought too.
- Depending on the sambar powder you use, adjust the amount of sambar powder(increase or decrease one teaspoon of it).If you prefer more spicy, then add chilli powder.
- If you do not have sambar powder, then instead of that, you can add 2 tablespoons of coriander powder and 1 teaspoon of chilli powder.