The recipe I am sharing today is Capsicum Chutney. There are capsicums still left in the bag hubby got last week and I am trying to use them in different ways to feed both my family and blog. After posting capsicum masala curry , a side dish for Chappathi, I wanted to post a side dish for idli and dosa too. So yesterday tried this coconut based capsicum chutney to serve with dosa for dinner. It came out delicious and everyone loved it.
What are the ingredients needed?
Bell pepper/ Capsicum, 1 large
Onions, 1-2 nos (which yields about 1 cup of chopped onion)
Garlic, 2-3 cloves
Tamarind, about a gooseberry size
Grated Coconut, 1/4 cup
Oil, 2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Urad dal, 1 tablespoon
Channa dal, 1 tablespoon
Red chillies, 2 nos
Salt to taste
How to make Capsicum Chutney?
- Heat oil in a pan,add cumin seeds and fry, then add urad dal, channa dal and red chillies and fry for 2 minutes, then add chopped onions, garlic and bell pepper and saute for about 3-4 minutes.
- Then add tamarind and saute for a minute. Then add grated coconut and turn off the heat.
- Let it cool and then add salt , enough water and grind it into a fine paste.
- Transfer it into a bowl and serve it.
- I used green bell pepper here, you can use red or yellow ones too.
- Instead of red chillies, you can use green chillies too.
- You can temper them at the end. Heat oil, then add mustard seeds and when they crack, add curry leaves and fry them and add it to ground chutney. Or you can skip this process.