|Pavakkai Poriyal with Tomato|
Pavakkai Poriyal is a simple stir fry made with Bitter gourd. This is my mother's version of Pavakkai Poriyal, made using tomato. I have already posted a different version of Pavakkai Poriyal without tomato. My mom makes it by pre-cooking the bitter gourd with turmeric and salt and then stir frying it. This version is also to easy to make and quite delicious. I love this poriyal and everytime mom makes it, I will finish it fully. The usage of tomato in the stir fry cuts down the bitterness of Bitter gourd. Mom makes this stir fry at least once a week. Bitter gourd is diabetic friendly vegetable and it is said that this vegetable keeps blood sugar level in control.
|Bitter gourd stir fry with tomato|
What are the ingredients needed?
Pavakkai / Bitter gourd, 1 lb
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Salt, to taste
Oil, 2-3 teaspoons
Mustard seed, 1/2 teaspoon
Onion, 2 medium sized (finely chopped)
Tomatoes, 2 medium sized(chopped)
Green chillies, 2-3 nos.
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Grated coconut, 2-3 Tablespoons (optional)
|Bitter gourd Stir fry|
How to make Bitter gourd stir fry?
- Wash and Cook whole Bitter gourd with 1/4 teaspoon of Turmeric powder and salt (as needed) along with required water.
- Then let it cool and then cut open the bitter gourds and remove their seeds and chop them to required sizes.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds and when they crack add chopped onions, slit green chillies along with curry leaves and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Then add the chopped tomato, check the salt and cook till the tomatoes turn soft and add the chopped bitter gourd pieces and fry for couple of minutes and add grated coconut mix well and turn off the heat. Serve it warm.
It serves 3- 4 persons.
|Pavakkai Poriyal Recipe|
- Instead of adding green chillies you can add red chilli powder.
- Adding grated coconut is optional.