|Oat Upma Recipe|
Oats Upma is a simple and easy to make Vegan dish. Upma is a South Indian style dish made with sooji or semiya or aval in this case it is made with Oats. As lots of people, prefer eating oats for weight loss or other health reasons like being diabetic etc., I wanted to post some oats recipes here. First I will post some very basic oats recipes, later will post something fancy too. My last post was Oats Bagalabath and today I am posting recipe for Oats Upma. No South Indian needs an introduction to Upma. We make upma almost with everything like sooji/rava, semiya, Aval etc., Oats upma is equally and even more easy to make and is very healthy too. You can add in some veggies of your choice too to make it even more healthy and colorful. But I have posted a simple version of oats upma here.
|Oats Upma for Breakfast|
What are the ingredients needed?
Oats, 1/2 cup
Water, 1/2 cup
Oil, 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Urad dal, 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
Chana dal, 1 teaspoon (optional)
Ground nuts, few (optional)
Onion, 1 small (finely chopped)
Green chilli, 1 small (slit)
Ginger, 1/2 teaspoon (grated)
Curry leaves, about a sprig
Salt, as needed
|Vegan Oats Upma|
How to make Oats Upma?
- Dry roast oats till light aroma comes. Take care not to burn it.
- Heat oil in a pan, then add mustard seeds, cumin seeds then urad dal, channa dal and peanuts, fry for a minute then add onion, green chilli, ginger and curry leaves and fry till onion is slightly golden,
- Then add 1/2 cup of water along with salt to taste and bring it to boil.
- Now reduce the heat to low, keep stirring and add the roasted oats and continue to stir till the water is absorbed by the oats. Then turn off the heat and cover it with lid and let it rest for few minutes.
- Then mix well, garnish with cilantro and serve it warm.
It serves 1 person.
|Quick and Easy Oats Upma|
- Adding urad dal, chana dal or peanuts is optional.
- Instead of green chillies, you can add dry red chilli too.
- You can add vegetables of your choice too.