Chicken Ghee Roast is an aromatic and spicy chicken side dish. Our family loves chicken and I wanted to try something different for them than the usual and was googling recipe for Chicken ghee roast and came across this Mangalore style Chicken ghee roast from Cherie's Stolen recipes. I followed the recipe and did 1 or 2 changes like I didn't have kashmiri red chillies so instead used the regular long red chillies I had at home. Kashmiri red chillies are less spicy comparatively and give beautiful color to the dish. Nonetheless, the dish came out really well and everyone at home really loved it. You must try this dish to know what I am talking about. The kitchen was filled with aroma of ghee and spicy and tangy taste of the dish sure did tickle our taste buds. This can be had as an appetizer, side dish for rice, even for roti.
|Chicken Ghee roast|
Recipe Source: Cherie's Stolen Recipes
What are the ingredients needed?
Chicken, 1 lb
Yogurt - 1/4 cup
Lemon juice , from half a lemon (about 2 Table spoons)
Turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Salt, as needed
Long red Chillies, 12 nos
Coriander seeds, 1 Tablespoon
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Whole black pepper, 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Garlic, 6-7 cloves
Tamarind, a small piece (about small gooseberry size)
Ghee, about 1/2 cup
Curry leaves, 1-2 sprigs
Cilantro, to garnish (optional)
|Mangalore style Chicken ghee roast|
How to make chicken ghee roast ?
- Clean, wash and cut the chicken into required sized pieces and then marinate it with yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric and salt for about 4 hours or more in a refrigerator.
- Soak tamarind in 2 tablespoons of water.
- Then dry roast red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black pepper, and fenugreek seeds till light aroma comes. Take care not to burn the ingredients.
- Grind these roasted ingredients along with garlic and soaked tamarind into a fine paste.
- In a heavy bottomed wide pan, heat about 2-3 tablespoons of ghee and add the marinated chicken and cook till chicken is cooked. Transfer the cooked chicken along with the liquid it released to a separate bowl.
- Then again to the pan, add remaining ghee, heat it and add the ground masala paste and fry till its raw smell is gone and ghee starts to separate from the masala.
- Then add the cooked chicken along with the liquid, check the salt and fry till the masala starts to dry. Few minutes before that, add the curry leaves and when the right consistency comes turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it warm.
|Spicy tangy chicken roast|
- Original recipe calls for about 30 kashmir red chillies (long) and 8 small red chillies. I didnt have kashmiri chillies and also to suit my families spice level I have used 12 long red chillies. You can adjust as per your families taste.
- This is chicken ghee roast, so dont skip ghee, may be if you prefer can reduce 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup. Cook the chicken in oil and for the second step of cooking of masala use ghee. (But my view is once in a while you can just indulge such yumminess. ;) )
- This dish is very easy to make. Only that you have to be near the stove all the time. Have to keep stirring when required to avoid getting burnt at the bottom especially when the masala starts to dry up.