Kovakkai Poriyal is nothing but stir fried Ivy gourd. It is a simple and easy to make side dish. This is healthy and vegan dish.
Kovakkai / Ivy gourd / Tindora, 1 lb (washed and chopped)
Oil, 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Chana dal / kadala paruppu, 1 tablespoon
Onion, 1 large (chopped)
Curry leaves, 2 sprigs
Sambar Powder, 1 tablespoon
Salt, as needed
Grated coconut, 1/4 cup
|Ivy gourd stir fry|
How it is made?
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds and when they crack, add channa dal then fry for a minute. Then add chopped onions and curry leaves and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Then add chopped ivy gourd along with sambar powder then required salt mix well and lower the heat and cover and cook. Sprinkle some water as needed.
- Once the ivy-gourd is cooked and the excess water (if any is evaporated) then turn off the heat and then add grated coconut and mix well and serve.
|Tindora Stir fry|
- You can add a hand full of peanuts too. If adding then add it along with channa dal.
- You can also add urad dal along with channa dal or only urad dal if you prefer.
- Increase or decrease the quantity of sambar powder as per your taste.
- Instead of sambar powder, you can use 1 teaspoon of chilli powder.