Onion Chutney is a easy to make delicious chutney. This vengaya chutney is made using coconut. This chutney can be served as a side dish for Idly or Dosa. This is vegan too.
What are the ingredients needed?
Onion, 2 large or 4 small ones (Chopped)
Oil, 2 teaspoon
Kadalai paruppu / Channa Dal, 1 tablespoon
Coconut (Grated), 1/4 cup
Red chillies, 2-3 nos.
Tamarind, one small piece
Salt, to taste.
How it is made?
- Heat oil in a skillet, add channa dal and fry for a minute.
- Then break red chillies into few pieces and add it, then add chopped onions and fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add tamarind and cook for a minute.
- Then add the grated coconut and turn off the heat. Let it cool and then grind it into a fine paste. Add salt and adjust the consistency by adding required water.
- Serve it with Idly or dosa and enjoy.
I usually do not temper it at the end. If needed, you can temper it with oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves and mix it with it and serve.