Cranberry Rice is a simple and delicious rice made with fresh cranberries. This rice is made in South Indian style and is Vegan. This rice has the tart flavor and lovely color from the cranberries. It takes just minutes to prepare this cranberry rice and is easy too. This rice can be served with appalam, fryums or even chips. While googling about cranberries, I came to know, in tamil it is known as' Kuruthinelli'. It tastes almost like nelli (gooseberry) and is red in color like blood. I have seen these cranberries after coming to US only and my son loves dried cranberries a lot and he has it with snacks and with cereals and I was under the misconception that the cranberries are sweet until I got some fresh cranberries and tried them. They are tart. Using fresh cranberries I have baked Cranberry Coffee Cake and now tried this Cranberry rice.
I am posting this rice for a special reason today. It is a sweet friend's birthday today who is also a fellow blogger. She is Priya Ranjit who blogs at Cooks like Priya. She is a lovely, bubbly person. Whenever I have conversation with her, there will be smiles, giggles and laughs. Our group of friends have decided to celebrate her birthday by giving virtual treat of recipes in pink color.
Happy Birthday, Priya!!
|South Indian Style Cranberry Rice|
Recipe Source: Spicy Treats
What are the ingredients needed?
Cooked Rice, 3 cups
Fresh cranberries, 1 cup (approximately)
Oil, 2-3 teaspoons
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Channa dal, 1 tablespoon
Urad dal, 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves, 1 - 2 sprig
Onion, 1 medium size
Ginger, 1" long (grated)
Green Chillies, 2-3 nos.
Salt, to taste
Cilantro, to garnish
- Cook the rice and let it before using it.
- Wash, clean and slice the cranberries and set them aside.
- Thinly slice the onions, slit the green chillies, grate ginger and keep them ready.
|Vegan Cranberry Rice|
How Cranberry Rice is made?
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds and when they crack, add urad dal, channa dal and fry for a minute. Then add curry leaves, onion grated ginger, green chillies and fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add the sliced cranberries, sprinkle little water, cover and cook for few minutes till it turns mushy.
- Then add the cooked rice, required salt and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it.
Serves 3 persons.
- You can use frozen cranberries, too just thaw, clean and use.
- Add more green chillies, if you want to make it more spicy.