Tomato Biryani is a flavorful rice made with tomatoes and spices.It is nothing but tomato rice made in biryani style.This tomato biryani is a easy to make one pot meal that can be prepared quickly making it perfect for packing lunch on busy mornings. It can be served with raitha.
Basmati Rice, 2 cups
Oil, 2 Tablespoon
Fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Cloves, 4 nos
Cinnamon, 1" long piece
Star Anise, 1 no.
Bay leaves, 2 nos
Onion(medium size), 1 no
Tomatoes, 4-5 nos. (depending on the size)
Green Chillies, 2-3 nos
Ginger Garlic paste, 2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Salt, to taste
Cilantro, to garnish
How it is made?
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, then add fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, star anise and fry for a minute or two.
- Then add the sliced onions, slit green chillies and fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder and mix well and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Then add the washed basmati rice, along with 3 cups of rice and salt to taste. Cover and pressure cook for a whistle. Then lower the heat and cook for another 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Wait till pressure releases, open the cooker lid, gently fluff it up, garnish with cilantro and serve it with raitha.
Serves 4 persons.
|Easy Tomato Biryani recipe|
- Adjust green chilli and red chilly as per your heat tolerance level.
- I used tomatoes on the vine for this rice. You can use naatu thakkali too.
- I prepared this rice in pressure cooker. You can prepare this in electric rice cooker too. Do the cooking process (steps1-3) in the skillet and then add this gravy, basmati rice along with required water to the electric cooker and cook.