Kongu Nadu Kozhi Varuval is a spicy chicken fry made with freshly ground spices & ground coconut. Chicken doesn't require marination for this type of fry. This chicken fry is on the dry side and I like to serve with rasam rice. Even when mixed with rice and eaten, the spices just tickles the taste buds making a delightful meal.
|Kongu Style Chicken Fry|
What are the ingredients needed?
Chicken, 2 lb
Oil, 2 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Onion (Medium size), 1 no thinly sliced
Ginger Garlic Paste, 2 Tablespoon
Turmeric Powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Grated Coconut, 1/4 cup
Salt, as needed
To roast and grind
Fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Cloves, 5 nos
Cinnamon, 1" long
Coriander seeds, 1 Tablespoon
Red chillies, 4-5 nos
Whole Pepper, 1 teaspoon
Poppy seeds, 1 teaspoon
|Kongu Nadu Kozhi Varuval|
How it is made?
- Chicken is cleaned, washed and set aside.
- Grind the grated coconut into fine paste.
- Roast all the ingredients listed under 'to roast and grind' and keep this masala powder ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and fry for minute, then add curry leaves and fry for another minute then add onions and fry till they turn translucent.
- Now add the cleaned chicken, turmeric, salt to taste along with ginger garlic paste, mix well, cover and cook for few minutes.
- Then add the ground masala powder mix well, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now add the ground coconut paste, mix well and cook till chicken is completely cooked and the excess water evaporates. At this moment, keep scrapping the bottom of the pan and mix the chicken fry, to ensure that it doesn't get burnt.
- Once the fry is on the dry side, turn off the heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
|Spicy Chicken fry|
- Adjust the chilli powder and pepper as per personal taste.
- Usually pearl onions (Chinna vengayam) are used instead of the big onion.