Keerai masiyal / spinach masiyal is cooked, mashed and seasoned spinach. It is easy and simple to make. I usually make this masiyal without dal - just cook the spinach, mash and season it. Traditionally the spinach is mashed with 'mathu' (a wooden masher) but I like to puree it in blender. Any type of spinach like arai keerai, mullai keerai, pasalai keerai can be used to make this masiyal. It is a healthy and comforting dish and can be had with rice. I used the leftovers as spread for sandwich too.
What are the ingredients needed?
Spinach (cleaned, washed, chopped spinach), 3 cups
Oil, 1 teaspoon
Garlic, 3-4 cloves
Whole Pepper, 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil, 1 teaspoon
Mustard, 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal, 1/2 teaspoon
Red chillies, 2 nos.
Onion (small), 1 no. (finely chopped)
How it is made?
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, then pepper and fry for a minute, then add the garlic and fry for a minute and then add the spinach and saute for couple of more minutes. Add salt, sprinkle some water, mix well and cover and cook till it is done. Take care not to overcook the spinach.
- Then mash it well with a masher or alternatively you can puree it coarsely in a blender.
- Now heat oil, add mustard seeds when they crack add urad dal, red chillies and fry for a minute and then add chopped onions and fry till the onions turn slightly golden. Switch off the heat and add this tempering to the spinach, mix well and serve.
- To simplify the first step you can just cook the spinach with little water and salt and then proceed with the seasoning.
- In the first step instead of pepper, green chilli is also used.
- You can skip onion and garlic from the recipe to prepare no onion - no garlic version.
- It can also be used as you would use a pesto.