Chettinad Style Egg Masala Recipe
Chettinad Muttai masala is a spicy and flavorful egg curry made in Chettinad style. This egg masala is made with freshly ground spices, making it more flavorful and delicious. This gravy can be served with rice and also for roti/ chappathi.
I made this recipe from Nalini's space. She is celebrating her birthday today and so we friends decided to give her virtual treat. Nalini's space has a wonderful collection of recipes with beautiful pictures in different cuisine but she gives importance to South Indian cuisine. Also she runs a event Tamizhar samayal Tuesday giving importance to Tamil cuisine. So we picked Tamil cuisine as the theme for her virtual birthday party and I made this gravy. Happy Birthday Nalini!!
|Chettinad Egg Masala|
Recipe Source: Nalini's Kitchen
What are the ingredients needed?
Hard boiled egg (de-shelled), 4-5 nos.
Oil, 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves, 2 sprig
Onions (medium size), 2 nos.
Tomato (medium size), 2 nos.
Ginger-garlic paste, 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Cilantro, a handful (to garnish)
Salt, to taste
To roast and grind
Cloves, 5-6 nos
Cinnamon, 1" long small piece
Whole Red chillies, 3-4 nos
Coriander seeds, 1 tablespoon
Black pepper, 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon
Poppy seeds, 1 teaspoon
Grated coconut, 1/4 cup
|Chettinad Muttai Masala|
How it is made?
- In a pan, dry roast cloves, cinnamon, chillies, coriander seeds, black pepper, cumin seeds, fennel seeds for couple of minutes till the aroma starts to come. Now add the poppy seeds, roast for another minute. Then add grated coconut and turn off the heat.
- Let this mixture cool and grind it into a fine paste and set it aside.
- Puree the tomatoes and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and fennel seeds and fry for a minute, then add curry leaves along with onion and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes. Now add the tomato puree and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the ground masala paste along with turmeric powder and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Now add 1 - 11/2 cups of water and required salt and bring it to boil and let it simmer till the gravy thickens to required consistency.
- In the mean time in a pan, slightly fry the boiled and de-shelled egg with a teaspoon of oil and a pinch of salt for a minute. Turn off the heat, add a pinch of chilli powder and mix well.
- Now add this egg to the gravy mixture and let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it with rice/ roti.
|Spicy Egg curry - Chettinad style|
- This is a slightly spicy gravy. Adjust the red chillies and pepper powder as per your personal taste.
- Instead of using ginger garlic paste, you can use 4-5 garlic cloves and a 1 inch long ginger piece. Clean, peel the skin and pound them well and use or you can puree them with tomato and use.