Today I am here with a simple recipe - Idli Upma. Have you ever wondered what to do with leftover idlis? They might be dry and uninviting to eat them as is. Idli Upma is a great way to use up those left over idlis. You can crumble the idlis and temper them and an instant and delicious snack is ready. It takes only few minutes and is delicious. I like to eat this Idli upma with sugar sprinkled on top.
What are the ingredients needed?
Left over Idli - 4-5 nos
Oil, 2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal, 1 teaspoon
Chana dal, 2 teaspoon
Red onion (medium), 1 finely chopped
Red Chillies, 2-3 nos
Curry leaves, a sprig
Asafoetida, a pinch
Salt as required.
Cilantro, to garnish (optional)
|Upma using leftover Idlis|
How it is made?
- Crumble the idlis into small pieces using fingers. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add mustard seeds, when they crack, add urad dal, chana dal and fry for a minute.
- Then add red chillies and curry leaves and fry for a minute, then add asafoetida, chopped red onions and fry till the onions turn slightly golden.
- Now add the crumbled idlis, salt to taste, mix well and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
- Instead of red chillies, you can use green chillies too. Also depending on the personal heat tolerance adjust the amount of chillies.
- If the number of idlis is more or less, adjust the ingredients accordingly.