Today I am sharing here Avarakkai Kootu made with pasi paruppu. It is also known as avarakkai poricha kootu. Kootu is usually made with vegetables like snake gourd, ridge gourd, cabbage, Indian broad beans and dal adding freshly ground spices with coconut. Here I have used Avarakkai / Indian Broad beans and pasi Paruppu / pachai paruppu / split yellow mung beans. This is a healthy and comforting South Indian dish that can be served with rice or even can be had as a side dish for Chappathi.
What are the ingredients needed?
Avarakkai / Indian Broad beans (Chopped), 2 cups
Pasi Paruppu / Split yellow moong dal, 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Salt as required
To grind together
Channa dal/ split chickpeas, 1 Teaspoon
Urad dal/ matpe beans, 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Whole pepper, 1/2 teaspoon
Red chillies, 2 nos.
Grated Coconut, 3 tablespoons
Oil, 2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal, 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida, a pinch
Curry leaves, a sprig
|Avarakkai Poricha kootu|
How it is made?
- Slightly roast the moong dal and add required water and pressure cook it. Let the pressure release and keep it aside.
- In the mean time, slightly roast the ingredients listed under' to grind' adding coconut just before turning the stove off. Let it cool and grind it into a fine paste.
- Now,cover and cook avarakkai, with turmeric and salt, sprinkling required water.
- Once the avarakkai is cooked, add the ground paste and cooked moong dal along with required water and cook till the raw smell is gone.Check the salt and adjust the consistency of the kootu as required by adding water. Let it simmer for a minute or two. Turn off the heat.
- Then in a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, when they crack add urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves and fry for a minute or two.
- Now add this tempering to the cooked vegetable, dal combination, mix well. Avarakkai Kootu is ready.
- Other vegetables like ridge gourd, snake gourd, cabbage etc., can be used in place of Indian broad beans.