After posting all cakes and bakes, today I am posting a simple recipe, Semiya Upma / Vermicelli Upma. It is an easy and quick to make tiffin item. It is so versatile that it can be had for breakfast, dinner or even as a light meal. It is my favorite and my kids love it too. So I make it often at home. I sometimes pack it for lunch for my daughter too.
Vermicelli/Semiya, 2 cups
Oil, 2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal, 1 teaspoon
Kadalai paruppu/ Channa dal, 2 teaspoon
Peanuts, handful (optional)
Red Onions, 1no.
Red chillies, 3-4 nos
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Salt, to taste
Lemon juice, 2 tablespoons (optional)
How it is made?
- Dry roast the vermicelli till it lightly start turning its color. Then turn off the heat and set it aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil, add mustard seeds, then add urad dal, chana dal and peanuts and roast till they lightly start turning the color.
- Now add the chopped onions, red chillies and curry leaves and fry till the onions turn translucent.
- To this add 4 cups of water and required salt and bring it to boil.
- Now add the roasted vermicelli and cook in medium flame till all the water is absorbed and the vermicelli is cooked. Now turn off the heat.
- Cover and let the vermicelli sit for few more minutes.
- If using now add lemon juice mix well and garnish with cilantro. Serve it warm.
Serves 4 persons.
- If you are using roasted vermicelli, you can skip step 1 (dry roasting vermicelli)
- I have added red chillies here, instead you can use green chillies too. Adjust the green chilly quantity as per your heat tolerance level.
- Adding peanuts, lemon juice and cilantro are optional. But I recommend adding it.
- You can add vegetables to this upma too, to make it colorful and healthy.