When one thinks of the holiday baking, Sugar Cookies always comes first. Today I am sharing the recipe of these simple Cookies. I baked these cookies along with my daughter, who shows lot of interest in baking too. She helped me with decorating the cookies too. We both really enjoyed baking together. The cookies were delicious. Even my 2 year old son enjoyed eating this cookies.
We baked these cookies for the Home Bakers Challenge started by Priya Akka. This month, the challenge is hosted by Priya Ranjit. She challenged us with different holiday bakes- cookies, cakes and breads. I choose this simple cookie. These sugar cookies can be cut out in different shapes depending on the season. Since this is Christmas time, we used star, Christmas tree and candy cane shapes. You can use any other shape of your choice too
Recipe Source: Food Network
What are the ingredients needed?
All purpose flour, 1 3/4 cup
Baking powder, 1 teaspoon
Salt, 1/4 teaspoon
Butter, 1/2 cup
Sugar, 3/4 cup
Egg, 1 no. (room temperature)
Vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon
Milk + colored sugar, for decorating
How it is made?
- In a bowl, combine all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and set it aside.
- In another bowl cream butter and sugar together. Then add Egg and beat well.
- Then add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- To this mixture add the flour mixture and mix well. The dough will be sticky.
- Cover the dough and chill for 3-4 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper and keep it aside.
- Then roll the dough and cut them into desired shape using cookie cutter.
- Repeat the process for the remaining dough.
- After cutting out the shapes, knead the leftover dough, roll them and again cut into desired shape. Repeat this as required.
- Brush the cookies with milk and sprinkle colored sugar.
- Then arrange the cookies in the prepared cookie sheet at 1" distance from one another.
- Bake the cookies for about 10- 15 minutes depending on the size and the thickness.
- Remove from the oven let it cool and store in air tight container.
- For the size of cookies I made, It yielded about 2 dozen cookies. (depending on the size of the cookies, the quantity varies)
- Adjust the sweetness to your personal preference. If you prefer less sweet, the reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup.
- I have used color sugar for decorating. You can use any other method to decorate the cookie or even can enjoy as is.
- Baking time depends on the thickness and size of the cookie.