I am posting the recipe of Idly podi today. Idly podi is always a must in our house. We have it with almost everything- idly, dosa, chappathi and rice. Usually either my mom or my grandma makes it for us. When my mom came to visit us (2 yrs back) she made and brought it here, I was preserving and using it in ration. Finally when it was over, it struck that it was high time that I start making Idly podi on my own. I got recipes from various friends and made this recipe.The ratio of lentils varies in each recipe. Though I am yet to get my mom and grandma's recipe (which is by far my favorite). I will post that recipe too in the future . But for now I am posting the recipe which I have tried and liked it too.
What are the ingredients needed?
Channa dal/ Kadalai paruppu, 1 cup
Urad dal/ Ulundhu, 1 cup
Red chillies, 10- 15 nos.
Sesame seeds, 1/4 cup
Asafoetida, 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves, 2-3 sprigs
Salt, as needed
How it is made?
- Dry roast curry leaves and red chillies in medium heat and set them aside.
- Then dry roast urad dal and channa dal till they lightly change color.
- Finally add the sesame seeds and roast it slightly.
- Let everything cool down to room temperature, then add everything to mixer, along with asafoetida and salt and grind it into a coarse powder.
- Then spread the powder in a paper to let it reach room temperature, then store it in airtight container.
- Every time use fresh dry spoon.
- You can store in air tight container in room temperature. But for longer duration, you can store it in refrigerator.
- While serving, you can mix it with any oil of your choice. I prefer sesame oil and sometimes coconut oil too.
Linking it to Nalini's event Tamizhar Samayal Tuesday.