Today I am sharing a simple and easy recipe made with Ginger- Inji Thuvaiyal. A spicy vegan dip made of ginger. Ginger has lot of health benefits like remedy to motion sickness, combating stomach discomfort, cold and flu protection, aids in digestion, strengthens immunity and so on. As the main ingredient of this recipe is ginger, it is loaded with these health benefits. This thuvaiyal can be had with rice and also can be had with Idly or dosa too.
What are the ingredients needed?
Ginger, about 1/4 cup (washed, peeled and chopped)
Oil, 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Red chillies, 2 nos.
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Chana dal/ Kadalai paruppu, 2 Tablespoons
Urad dal/ Ulundhu, 2 Tablespoons
Asafoetida, a pinch
Tamarind, small gooseberry size
Jaggery, small piece (optional)
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds then add red chillies and curry leaves and then add kadalai paruppu and ulutham paruppu and fry for 2-3 minutes till the dals slightly change in color..
- Then add asafoetida, tamarind and ginger and fry for few more minutes and turn off the heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool down.
- Now along with this add jaggery, salt and grind into a smooth paste using little water.
- It is ready to serve.
Serves 3-4 adults.
- To this thuvaiyal, 3 tablespoon of grated coconut can be added just before turning off the heat and mixed well. Then continue the process.
- Take care not to over fry the ginger.
- Also while grinding add very little water.