It is very recently that we have started including Rajma into our diet. I have been trying out new dishes with it and have been getting positive feedback from my family too. Few days back I made Rajma masala and Jeera pulao for lunch. I posted the recipe for Jeera Pulao already and today posting this Rajma masala recipe- Rajma(Red kidney beans) in a flavorful tomato based gravy. This gravy is healthy and delicious, so what is there not to love it??
Rajma/ Red kidney beans, 1 cup
Oil, 2-3 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Bay leaf, 1 no
Cloves, 3 -4 nos
Cinnamon - 1" long
Cardamom, 3-4 nos.
Onions, 1 medium sized (finely chopped)
Tomatoes, 2 - 3 nos.
Ginger- Garlic paste, 2 teaspoon.
Turmeric Powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Coriander powder, 2 teaspoons
Chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Salt, to taste
Kasoori methi, 1 Teaspoon.
Cilantro , to garnish (optional).
How it is made?
- Soak Rajma overnight and then the pressure cook it and set it aside.
- Puree tomatoes and keep them ready.
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves,cinnamon, cardamom and fry for a minute or two.
- Then add the finely chopped onions and fry till the onions turn translucent. Then add the pureed tomatoes and ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute or two and then add the turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder and little water and cook till the raw smell is gone and oil starts to separate.
- Now add the cooked rajma, required water to get the desired consistency and salt to taste and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes. Then add the garam masala and kasoori methi and cook for another 2-3 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Serve it warm with Rice/ Jeera Pulao/ Chappathi.
- You can also use canned kidney beans. In that case, that drain the water and proceed to cook it and use.
- You can a teaspoon of amchur powder(dried mango powder) for tanginess. But I didn't add it.
- Before serving remove whole cardamom, and other whole spices from the gravy.
- Adjust the amount of chilli powder as per your heat tolerance level.