Today I am sharing a simple recipe for Kadalai paruppu (Channa Dal) sundal- Stir fry made with split bengal gram. It is very easy to make and very healthy too. Kadalai paruppu doesn't require much soaking unlike the other legumes like Chickpeas,dried Green peas, kidney beans etc., so it can be prepared instantly. If you forgot to soak other legumes for sundal dont worry, this sundal is there for the rescue. Since it is festival time, we can make this sundal to offer to God. Also this is rich in protein making it a healthy snack.
|Kadalai Paruppu Sundal|
What are the ingredients needed?
Kadalai Paruppu/Channa Dal, 1 cup
Turmeric powder, a pinch
Oil, 2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida, a pinch
Red chillies, 2-3 nos
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Grated ginger, 1 teaspoon (optional)
Salt, to taste
Grated Coconut, 3-4 Tablespoons
Cilantro, to garnish.
|Channa Dal Sundal|
How it is made?
- Wash and pressure cook kadalai paruppu with 1 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of turmeric for about 1 whistle (such that it is cooked but doesn't get mushy).Wait till the pressure is released, drain excess water, if any and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds and when they crack, add red chillies, curry leaves, grated ginger and asafoetida and fry, then add the cooked paruppu and mix gently. Take care not to mash them. Add salt too at this point.
- Turn off the heat and add grated coconut, mix and serve it, garnished with cilantro.
- Channa dal cooks very fast. Take care not to over cook it.
- Optionally instead of pressure cooking, you can soak the kadalai paruppu for about 2 hours and boil it and then drain and use.
- Instead of red chillies, you can use green chillies too.