Dal Makhani is a rich and delicious gravy made with black lentils and red kidney beans. It is a famous Punjabi dish. Traditionally this dish is cooked in low flame for long hours but now with the use of pressure cooker the dal is prepared in less time. Though I have tasted this in the restaurants, I have not tried making it at home until recently. I came across the recipe from Tarla Dalal and I tried it and it came out really well and now here I am with the recipe.
Recipe Source : Tarla Dalal
What are the ingredients needed?
Whole Urad dal (whole black lentils), 3/4 cup
Rajma/ Kidney beans, 1/4 cup
Butter, 3 Tablespoons
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Bay leaf, 1 no.
Cinnamon, 1" long
Cloves, 3-4 nos
Cardamom, 4 nos
Red Onion, 1 small (finely chopped)
Green chillies, 2nos. (slit)
Tomato Puree, 1 1/2 cups
Ginger garlic paste, 1 teaspoon
Chilli powder, 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Fresh cream, 1/2 cup
Salt, to taste
Cilantro to garnish
How it is made?
- Wash and soak Urad dal and Rajma overnight.
- Then pressure cook the dal such that is over cooked.Wait till the pressure is released then mash the dal and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat butter add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamom and fry for a minute.
- Then add the chopped onions and green chillies and saute till the onions turn slightly golden.
- Now add the tomato puree, ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder and cook in low temperature till the oil starts seperating.
- Add the mashed dal to this mixture, mix well and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Then add 1/2 cup of cream mix well and if needed add 2-3 table spoons of water and let it simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it warm.
- Soak rajma and black urad dal for atleast 5-6 hours.
- Adjust the chilli and chilli powder as per your heat tolerance level.
- While serving you can garnish with fresh cream .
- For Vegan version, replace butter with oil and fresh cream with coconut milk.