Adai dosa are the crepes made with mixed lentils. The ingredients are soaked for atleast 3 hours then they are ground and then the adai are made right away. No fermentation of the batter required unlike the idly dosa batter. It is very healthy and is Vegan.
What are the ingredients required?
Raw rice, 1 cup
Idli rice, 1 cup
Urad dal, 1/4 cup
Chana dal, 1/4 cup
Toor dal, 1/4 cup
Moong dal, 1/4 cup
Other ingredients to grind together
Cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon
Ginger, 1 tablespoon (grated)
Red chillies, 4-5 nos(adjust depending on your personal taste)
Coconut, 1/4 cup (optional)
Asafoetida, a pinch
Salt, as required
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Red Onion, 1 medium sized(finely chopped)
Curry leaves, 1 sprig (torn into small pieces)
Cilantro, a handful (finely chopped)
How it is made?
- Soak the ingredients listed under 'to soak' for atleast 3 hours.
- Then grind the cumin seeds, ginger, red chillies, coconut with a handful of soaked lentils.This is to ensure that they are ground properly.
- Then add the rest of the soaked rice and lentils and grind them into a smooth batter adding required water. At the final stage, add turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida and run the grinder till they are evenly mixed.
- Transfer the batter and then add chopped onions, curry leaves and cilantro mix well and the batter is ready to use.
- Heat the griddle, pour a laddle and spread in circular motion. Then drizzle some oil. Cook in low flame.
- Then turn it to the other side and cook for few more minutes and then serve it warm.
- I served it with coconut chutney as I like that combination while the traditional combo is with Aviyal.
|Adai- crepes made with mixed lentils|
- Each person follows different ratios of rice and lentils. Here I have mentioned the ratio I follow for making adai.
- Usually the adai batter is slightly thicker than the usual dosa batter. But once I skipped the onions, curry leaves and cilantro and diluted the batter a little bit and made a crispier version which my kids liked.
- Instead of cumin seeds, fennel seeds can be added.
Linking this to Tamizhar Samayal Tuesday hosted by Nalini