Kollu Sundal is a simple stir fry made with Horse Gram (Kollu). It is very easy to make and is a very healthy snack.
Kollu (Horse Gram), 1 cup
Onion, 1 small (chopped)
Oil, 1 tablespoon
Mustard, 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Red chillies, 2-3 nos.
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Asafoetida, a pinch
Salt to taste
Grated coconut, 3 - 4 tablespoons
How it is made?
- Soak Kollu for atleast half and hour and pressure cook it.
- Drain the excess water (refer notes) and keep the cooked kollu aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and then add red chillies and fry them for a minute then add chopped onions and curry leaves and fry them and then add a pinch of asafoetida and fry for another minute.
- Now add the cooked kollu, salt to taste and mix well. If there are any liquid left, saute till it evaporates.
- Turn off the heat, add grated coconut and mix well and serve warm.
- Don't throw away the drained kollu water, it can be used to make rasam. Click here for recipe of Kollu Rasam.
- If you are planning to offer to God, then you can omit onion.
- Instead of red chillies, you can use green chillies too.