Today I am sharing with you a simple and easy to make Rasam recipe- Garlic Pepper Rasam. It is very quick to make too and doesn't require rasam powder, Dal or even tomato. As the name suggests the flavor of pepper and garlic is predominant in the rasam. This rasam aids in digestion and also can be had as a remedy for cold.
What are the ingredients needed?
Pepper, 2 teaspoon
Cumin, 1/2 teaspoon
Garlic, 3-4 cloves
Curry leaves, a sprig
Tamarind, a small lemon ball size
Oil, 2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida, a pinch
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Cilantro, to garnish.
How it is made?
- Soak tamarind in water for atleast 15 minutes, extract the juice and discard the pulp.
- In a blender grind pepper, cumin finely and then add garlic and curry leaves and gently pulse it.
- In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds and when they crack add the ground mixture, asafoetida and fry for a minute or two.
- Then add turmeric powder, extracted tamarind juice, add water to get the required consistency and salt to taste, mix well and wait till the froth starts to form in the surface of the rasam. Do not let the rasam to boil. Then turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it.
- Increase or decrease pepper as per your heat tolerance level.
- Instead of adding curry leaves and pulsing it(step 2), it can be added as a whole in the step 3.