I love Rasam a lot and I often make rasam at home. Today I am posting Paruppu Rasam recipe. I have already posted two rasam recipes - Simple Rasam & Garlic Pepper Rasam, both doesn't require rasam powder. But I made this rasam using rasam powder. I will post the recipe for rasam powder too shortly. This rasam is made without garlic. This rasam is so flavorful and healthy. Warm Rasam with Rice and appalam is always a heavenly combination.
Recipe Source: Cooks Joy
What are the ingredients needed?
Toor Dhal (cooked and mashed), 3-4 tablespoons
Tamarind, a small lemon ball size
Medium sized Tomato, 1 no(Chopped)
Salt, to taste
Rasam powder, 1 1/2 tablespoon
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Oil, 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds,1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves, a sprig
Cilantro leaves (optional)
How it is made?
- Soak tamarind and extract the juice and discard the pulp.
- To the tamarind juice, add water(about 2 cups), turmeric powder, rasam powder, asafoetida, salt, along with chopped tomatoes, mix well and bring it to boil.
- Now add the mashed dal, check the consistency, if needed add more water, then mix well and wait till the rasam starts to froth and then turn off the heat.
- In another pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and when they sputter, add curry leaves and fry for a minute or two, then turn off the heat and add this tempering to the rasam and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Adjust the amount of rasam powder according to your taste.
- While tempering, you can add red chillies too.
- Dal settles at the bottom, so while serving mix well and serve along with Dal.