Today I am posting Ghee Rice. I prepared this rice and clicked few weeks ago and it has been sitting in my draft for quite sometime. I have been working on the post for the past 2 days but still couldn't post it. Today I am determined to post it.
It is a flavorful rice with mild spices and Ghee. Usually it is served with some spicy side dish. I served it with mutton fry. Who doesn't like something so easy to make and tastes delicious?? :)
What are the ingredients needed?
Basmati Rice, 2 cups
Ghee, 4 tablespoons
Fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Cloves, 4-5 nos
Cinnamon, 1" long piece
Bay leaf, 1 no
Star Anise, 1 no
Cardamom, 2-3 nos
Cashew, 10-12 nos
Onion, 1 (medium) finely sliced
Green Chillies, 2-3 nos
Ginger garlic paste, 1 tablespoon (optional)
Cilantro, to garnish (optional)
How it is made?
- Wash and soak basmati rice for atleast 20 minutes. Then drain the excess water and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of Ghee in a pressure cooker, add fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf , star anise and cardamom and fry for a minute.
- Then add the sliced onion, green chillies and fry till the onions turn translucent. Then add the ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Then add the rice and fry for 2 more minutes and add about 3.5 cups of water and pressure cook till the rice is done. Usually what I do is after one whistle reduce the heat to low cook for 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- In the mean time, in a pan heat 2 tablespoon of ghee, add cashews and fry till they start to change color and set them aside.
- When the pressure releases, add the fried cashew along with the left over ghee and gently mix it, garnish with cilantro and serve it with side dish of your choice.
- Instead of adding onions(in step 3) along with green chillies in the initial stage it can be later fried and added along with cashews(in step 6).
- If you prefer,you can also add mint leaves (in step 3).
- Usually raisins are also added along with cashews. I didn't add, but if you like you can add it.