Today I am sharing the recipe of Besan Burfi I prepared for Rakshabandhan. This festival celebrates the relationship of brother and sister. And having an amazing brother, I would never want to miss this festival. But my brother is far away in Philippines and it is almost 5 years now since I met him in person. Every year I do wish for the next rakhi, he is with me. Hopefully next year my wish comes true. My kids celebrated Rakshabandhan. Here is the picture of my daughter tying rakhi to my son. Hope you all had a wonderful celebration too. Do share with us how you celebrated the day.
Now coming to the recipe, Besan burfi- it is a fudge made with roasted gram flour, ghee and sugar. It is flavored with cardamom and garnished with nuts. Rich and delicious dessert suits any occasion that calls for celebration.
Recipe Source: Manjula's kitchen
What are the ingredients needed?
Besan/ Gram flour, 1 cup
Sooji/ Semolina, 2 Tablespoons
Ghee (melted), 6 Tablespoon
Coarsely ground almond, 1/4 cup
Sugar, 1 cup
Water, 1/2 cup
Cardamom, 7-8 nos (shelled and seeds powdered with a tablespoon of sugar)
Pistachios, as needed for garnishing.
How it is made?
- In a bowl combine besan and sooji. To this add 3 tablespoon of melted ghee and mix it well to form a grainy mixture and set it aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add the remaining 3 tablespoons of ghee and the flour mixture and roast for 4-5 minutes till flour changes its color slightly. Keep stirring continuously, otherwise flour might brown unevenly.
- Now add the ground almond and stirring continuously roast till the flour changes to golden brown and roasted smell comes from the flour. It takes for about 6-7 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- In a saucepan, boil sugar and water in medium heat till the syrup thickens. (a little less than the one string consistency) Turn off the heat.
- Now add the sugar syrup to the roasted flour mixture and mix well such that there are no lumps.
- Pour this mixture on a greased square pan (about 8 * 8 inches).
- Garnish it with chopped nuts and press gently.
- Then let it set for an hour and slice and serve.
- While roasting, stirring continuously is very important for roasting it evenly.
- Sugar syrup consistency is important. If the syrup thickens than required then the burfi becomes dry, the opposite, the burfi becomes too soft.
- Instead of pistachios, you can use any other nuts of your choice too.