Today I am posting Asian Style Chocolate Marble Bread prepared using roux method, which is also known as tangzhong method. A roux starter(water and flour mixture) is prepared and then added to the other ingredients and then the bread is baked, which results in super soft bread. I have already posted Japanese style Hokkaido Milk Toast using this method. Today's bread is a Chocolate Marble braided bread. This bread is not too sweet and it can be had with nutella to give a boost to the chocolate flavor.
I baked this bread for the Home Bakers challenge started by Priya Akka. This month's challenge is bread and is hosted by Manjula. She challenged us with four different interesting bread varieties and I picked this Chocolate Marble bread. Though I wanted to bake all the four varieties, as it is summer vacation and kids and their activities take up most of the time, I couldn't bake them all. But in future will bake those gorgeous breads. Thank you Manjula and Priya Akka for this month's challenge, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Recipe Source: Simple Recipes
What are the ingredients needed?
For the roux,
All purpose flour, 1/3 cup
Water, 1 cup
All purpose flour, 2 1/2 cups
Sugar, 2 Tablespoons
Salt, 1 teaspoon
Milk powder, 3 Tablespoons
Water, as needed
Unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 Tablespoons
Yeast, 1 1/2 teaspoons
Butter, 2 Tablespoons
How it is made?
To prepare the roux
- In a small pan, mix flour and water without any lumps and cook it in low heat stirring with wooden spoon to prevent from burning.
- When the mixture starts to thicken and ripples are formed, turn off the heat.
- Set it aside to cool. You can cover it with cling wrap to prevent the top from drying.
- In a mixing bowl combine all purpose flour, sugar, salt, milk powder and yeast. To this add the roux and knead well. Then add Butter and knead till the butter is fully incorporated into the dough.
- Divide the dough into 1/3 & 2/3 portions approximately. Cover the smaller portion and set it aside.
- Knead the larger portion of the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Cover it and set it aside.
- Now to the smaller portion of the dough add the cocoa powder and water as needed and knead until it is incorporated well and the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and set this aside too.
- Let both the dough proof until it is double its size (for about 2 hours).
- Then deflate the dough and knead them.
- Flatten the white dough to about 12* 6 inches rectangle and chocolate dough to about 6 * 9 inches.
- Layer Chocolate layer in between the while dough layers. Flatten them and cut them into 2 equal portions, place one on top of the other and flatten them again. Repeat the process for couple of more times.
- Cut the flattened dough into 3 equal strips. Gently roll each of them and place them together and braid them. Place this braided bread in loaf pan.Cover it and let them rise till it is almost tripled its original size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F and bake it for about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush it with melted butter. Remove from the loaf pan, let it cool completely. Then slice and serve.
|Chocolate Marble bread using tangzhong method|
- The actual method calls for bread flour but since I didn't have that I replaced it with all purpose flour.
- In case if you don't have milk powder, you can omit it.