Today I am posting a simple dal recipe. It is Uppu Paruppu. Split Pigeon peas/ Toor dal is cooked and tempering is added to it. That is all. It is very simple and easy to make, also it is Vegan. My kids love this dal when served with rice and dollop of ghee. Not only them, even I love too. It is just very comforting.
What are the ingredients needed?
To pressure cook
Toor Dal/ Tuvaram paruppu/ Split Pigeon Peas (split red gram), 3/4 cup
Oil, 1 teaspoon
Turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon
Garlic, 4-5 cloves
Tomato, 1 no (optional)
Water, 1 1/2 cups
Oil, 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds/ kadugu, 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds/ Jeeragam, 1/2 teaspoon
Red chillies, 2 nos
Onion, 1/2 (thinly sliced)
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Asafoetida/hing/ perungayum, a pinch
Salt, to taste
Cilantro, to garnish
How it is made?
- Wash the Dal and pressure cook it along with the ingredients listed under 'to pressure cook'. Then wait till the pressure releases and mash them well.
- Then heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and then add red chillies, onions and curry leaves, asafoetida and fry for a minute or two till onion turn translucent.
- To this add the mashed dal, mix well, salt to taste and turn off the heat. If needed, add little water to dilute the consistency, otherwise no need.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it with rice.
- Instead of red onions, you can use pearl onions (about 7-8 nos, de-skinned &sliced)
- You can also use green chillies instead of red chillies