Today's recipe is Thayir Semiya. Vermicelli is cooked and mixed with yogurt and then tempered and mixed with fruits of your choice. I have been wanting to post this recipe since I made this for my son's birthday. I got a lot of compliments for this dish at the party. Today I made this again and didn't want to miss this time too. Though it was a busy day today, I managed to click some pictures and here I am now ready to post it. Usually this dish is served in parties in place of thayir saadham/ curd rice. But when the weather is warm, imagine having chilled thayir semiya loaded with fruits..It is pure heaven!
Coming to the recipe.
What are the ingredients needed?
Vermicelli, 1 cup
Water, 2 cup
Yogurt, 1.5 cup
Milk, 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil, 2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida, a pinch
Green Chillies, 2 nos
Grated Ginger, 1 Tablespoon
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Cashews, 10-15 nos (optional)
Raisins, 10-15 nos (optional)
Grapes, 10-12 nos (de seeded and halved)
Cucumber, half (de-seeded and diced)
Carrot, 1-2 nos (grated)
How it is made?
- Roast vermicelli and set it aside.
- Boil 2 cups of water and add vermicelli and cook till it is done. Then set it aside and let it cool.
- Then mix it with Curd and milk and add salt to taste and mix well.
- Then heat oil , add mustard seeds, when they crack add slit green chillies, curry leaves, grated ginger and asafoetida and fry for a 2-3 minutes. Then add this to the vermicelli and mix well.
- Fry cashew and raisins and mix it with vermicelli too.
- Now add grapes, cucumber and carrot and mix well. Finally garnish it chopped cilantro.
- Serve it chilled.
- There is also roasted vermicelli available in the market. In case if you are using it, skip the roasting process.
- Adjust the amount of yogurt and milk to suit your personal preference.
- You can add the 'special ingredients' as per your liking too. You can add other fruits too. Usually along with this pomegranate seeds are added. Since I didn't have it, I skipped it.