Today's recipe is a Simple Rasam that can be prepared instantly. I am posting this recipe mainly for beginners in cooking. It is a quick and easy method to prepare rasam and also does not require rasam powder/ rasam podi.
|Easy Rasam Recipe without rasam powder|
What are the ingredients needed?
Tamarind, about a small lime ball
Tomato, 1 no.
Garlic, 4-5 cloves (crushed)
Oil, 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoons
Dry red chillies, 2 nos (optional)
Curry leaves,1 sprig
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Coriander powder, 2 teaspoons
Chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida, a pinch
Salt to taste
Cilantro leaves, to garnish
How it is made?
- Soak tamarind in a cup of warm water, extract the juice and discard the pulp.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan, add mustard seeds and when they crack, add the crushed garlic, curry leaves and red chillies and fry for a minute or two.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes, cook till it turns soft.Then add asafoetida, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, pepper and cumin powder mix well, add some water (about 1/4 cup) and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the tamarind extract and required water to get the right consistency, salt to taste, mix well.
- Let it cook for few minutes in medium heat till the rasam starts to froth. Then turn off the heat. Do not let it to boil.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.