Today I am here with Thattai payir kuzhambu Recipe. It is a spicy tangy gravy made with Thatta payir which is also known as karamani. It is healthy and delicious.
Coming to the recipe
What are the ingredients needed?
Thatta Payir/Cow peas, 1 cup
Oil, 2-3 teaspoon
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Pearl Onions, 5-6 nos
Garlic pods, 4-5 cloves
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Tomatoes, 1 no
Asafoetida, a pinch
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Chilli powder, 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder, 1 tablespoon
Tamarind, small lemon ball sized
Salt, as needed
Grated coconut, 1/4 cup
Onion, 1 no.
Cumin seeds, 1/2 cup
How to make Thattapayir kuzhambu?
- Soak thattapayir for atleast 30 minutes and pressure cook it.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice and discard the pulp.
- Grind coconut, onion and cumin seeds together into a fine paste.
- In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and fry for a minute. Then add the chopped pearl onions, garlic and curry leaves and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the tomatoes, asafoetida, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Then add the ground coconut paste, cooked thattapayir, extracted tamarind juice mix well. Then add water to get the required consistency. Add salt mix well and bring this to boil and let it simmer till the oil starts separating (in low flame it takes around 8-10 minutes)
- Turn off the heat and serve with rice and appalam or any other vegetable side dish of your choice.
- Instead of pearl onions you can use regular onions too.
- You can grind the tomatoes along with the coconut paste.