Today's recipe is Pineapple Upside Down Cake. It has been a while since I baked a cake and I had a pineapple sitting at home. So tried this Pineapple upside down cake and it came out really wonderful. My kids loved it and it was over so soon. I am looking forward to bake it again.
Recipe Source: Joy of Baking
What are the ingredients needed?
For the Topping:
Butter(unsalted), 1/4 cup
Light Brown Sugar, 3/4 cup
Pineapple, 1 (peeled, cored and sliced)
Candied Cherries/ Maraschino cherries (optional)
For the Cake
All Purpose Flour, 1 1/2 cup
Baking powder, 2 teaspoons
Salt, 1/4 teaspoon
Butter(room temperature), 1/2 cup
Sugar, 1 cup
Vanilla Extract, 1 teaspoon
Eggs, 2 nos.
Milk, 1/2 cup
Cream of tartar, 1/4 teaspoon
How it is made?
- Prepare the 9 inch cake pan by greasing and flouring it.
- Break open the eggs, separate the egg whites and yolks and set them aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
For the Topping
- In a saucepan, add butter and sugar and stir in a medium heat till the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Then continue to cook without stirring until the bubble starts to appear around the edges. Now turn off the heat and pour it into the prepared pan.
- Next arrange the sliced pineapples on top of the mixture. You can also arrange cherries, if you want.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl beat butter and sugar till they are fluffy.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and add vanilla extract and mix well. Continue to beat adding one egg yolks at a time.
- To this add 1/2 of flour mixture and 1/2 of milk mix well. Then add the rest of the flour and milk and mix well.
- Take a clean bowl whisk the egg whites with cream of tartar until it forms a stiff peak.
- With a spatula fold the egg whites gently with this mixture.
- Pour this batter to the prepared cake pan, smooth the top evenly and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tooth pick inserted comes out clean (make sure the toothpick doesn't get inserted all the way through the fruit)
- Let it cool for 10 minutes. Then run a knife around the edges and turn it upside down on a serving plate.