Naan is a leavened flat bread usually cooked in the clay oven(tandoor). Everyone at home just love this naan and I make it often at home in the stove top using yeast. The naans come out really soft and fluffy. I wanted to share this recipe for so long, but couldn't get the pictures. So finally I am posting this recipe here.
What are the ingredients needed?
Warm water (@temperature of 110F), 3 Tablespoons
Active dry yeast, 2 1/4 teaspoon (1 packet)
Sugar, 1 teaspoon
Warm milk, 1/2 cup
Yogurt, 1/4 cup
Melted Butter, 4 Tablespoons
All Purpose flour, 3 cups
Baking Powder,1/2 teaspoon
Salt, 1 teaspoon
Melted butter, as needed
How it is made?
- In a bowl, mix sugar dry yeast and warm water and let it sit for 6-7 minutes till it is frothy.
- In another bowl combine All purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- To this add the warm milk, yogurt melted butter and mix well and keep kneading, then add the yeast mixture continue to knead, (if water is required add little) keep kneading until the sticky dough turns out to be pliable dough and is not sticky.
- Take a bowl and grease it with butter and place this dough in the bowl, cover it with plastic wrap or damp kitchen towel and let it rise for 3-4 hours or until it is doubled in size.
- Then punch the dough and knead for few minutes. Divide the dough into equally sized balls and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Then using rolling pin roll the balls into the shape of the naan.
- Heat tawa/griddle on high heat , apply melted butter on the naan and gently lay it on top of the griddle and cook till bubbles start to appear on the surface of the naan, then apply butter to that side and flip it to the other side and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat the process till all the prepared naans are cooked.
- Serve it warm with side dish of your choice