Aval Upma / Poha Upma is a simple breakfast recipe. It is very easy to prepare and is ready in minutes. So when there is crunch for time, surely this dish comes in handy. There are lot of variations that can be made with this aval/poha. Today I am posting the basic upma recipe. I have posted another poha recipe with variation-Peas Pohe, some time back.
The ingredients needed:
Aval/ Poha/ Flattened Rice Flakes - 2 cups
Oil, 2-3 teaspoons
Mustard, 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal/ Ulutham paruppu/ Black gram, 1 teaspoon
Peanuts, a handful (as needed)
Large Onion, 1 no
Green Chillies, 2-3 nos
Grated Ginger, 1 Tablespoon
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Salt as needed
How it is made?
- Wash Poha in running water and drain the excess water and let it aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, when they crack add urad dhal, Peanuts and fry for a minute.
- Then add chopped onions, slit green chillies, grated ginger and curry leaves and saute for few minutes, then add the soaked poha and salt to taste, mix well and serve.
- If the poha is thick, then let it soak in water for 5 minutes, then squeeze and drain the excess water and use.
- If poha is thin, washing will be enough. So depending on the variety of the poha you use follow the procedure.
- I have used roasted peanuts. If using raw peanuts, roast before and use. If you dont prefer peanuts you can omit them.
- Instead of Urad dhal, you can use channa dhal/kadala paruppu too. You can also use a combination of both.