Today I am here with Aloo Methi recipe- Potatoes cooked with Fenugreek leaves. Who does not like potatoes? The potatoes get an incredible flavor from the fenugreek leaves. Also these are healthy. They can be a wonderful side dish almost for anything, be it rice or rotis.
Potatoes- 3-4 nos (medium sized-peeled & chopped to cubes)
Fenugreek leaves- 2 cups (cleaned & Chopped)
Onion - 1 small sized (chopped)
Oil, 1 Tablespoon
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Dry red chillies, 2-3 nos.
Asafoetida, a pinch
Garlic, 3-4 cloves(finely minced)
Ginger, 1 small piece(finely minced)
Turmeric Powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder, 1 teaspoon
Salt, to taste.
Amchoor Powder, 1/2 teaspoon(optional)
How it is made?
- Heat oil in a skillet, add cumin seeds and then add red chillies and fry for a minute.
- Then add chopped onion, ginger, garlic and asafoetida and saute for few more minutes.
- Then add the turmeric powder, Chilli powder, Coriander Powder and chopped potatoes, mix well. Then add salt to taste, mix well, sprinkle some water and cover and cook till the potatoes are half cooked.
- Then add chopped and cleaned fenugreek leaves, mix well and sprinkle some more water(if needed), check the salt and cover and cook till it is completely cooked.
- Then add amchoor powder, mix well and serve.
- If you dont prefer onion, garlic, ginger you can avoid them.
- Adding amchoor powder is optional.
- You can also prepare aloo methi in this method-
- Boil, peel and cube the potatoes.
- Heat oil in a skillet, fry cumin seeds, chillies, asafoetida and other listed ingredients.
- Then add the fenugreek leaves, mix well, cover and cook.
- To this add the chopped potatoes and mix well, cook for 2 more minutes and then turn off the heat.