Today's recipe is Channa Pulao (pilaf). It is a easy one pot meal made with Channa / Chickpeas / garbanzo beans. It is healthy and is vegan. Though it is very easy to make, it requires planning ahead, so that the chickpeas are soaked and are ready in time for cooking. It is perfect for packing lunch.
What are the ingredients needed?
Channa/ Chickpeas, 1 cup
Basmati rice, 2 cups
Oil, 2-3 teaspoons
Fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Bay leaf, 1 no.
Star Anise, 1 no.
Cloves, 3-4 nos.
Cinnamon - 1" long
Onion, 1 no.
Green Chillies, 2 nos
Tomatoes, 2 nos.
Mint leaves, one handful
Ginger garlic paste, 2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli powder, 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder, 2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Lemon juice, from half lemon
How it is made?
- Soak Channa overnight, preferably 6-8 hours. Drain and keep them aside ready for cooking.
- Then in a pressure cooker, heat oil add fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and star anise and fry for a minute or two.
- Then add onions and green chillies and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Then add tomatoes, ginger garlic paste and mint leaves and saute till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Now add Turmeric, Chilli and coriander powder and cook for couple of minutes.
- To this add the soaked channa, rice and water (4 cups), cover and pressure cook till it is done.
- Wait till the pressure is released, open the lid, gently fluff the rice,squeeze lemon juice, mix well and garnish with Cilantro and serve it.
- Instead of Kabuli Channa, you can use black chickpeas too.
- Adjust the chilli powder based on your taste.
- If you like to have more channa you can increase the channa quantity, for one cup of rice you can add 3/4 cup of channa.