Today I suddenly had craving for Garlic Kuzhambu and I wanted to try something different from my usual recipe. I had bookmarked Poondu Milagu Kuzhambu recipe from Sangee's site a while ago, I tried and it came out really well. I just did a few changes to fit our taste. This is a tamarind based gravy with pronounced flavor of garlic and pepper. This garlic pepper gravy is good for health and can be had for remedy from cold.
Recipe Source: Spicy Treats
What are the ingredients needed?
To grind together
Oil, 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander seeds, 1 1/2 tablespoon
Pepper, 1 tablespoon
Dry Red chillies, 2 nos.
Chopped onion, 1/2 cup
Garlic, 4-5 cloves
Shredded coconut, 2 teaspoon
Oil, 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds,1/4 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Peppercorns, 5-6 nos.
Asafoetida, a pinch
Curry leaves, a sprig
Garlic, 10-12 cloves (peeled)
Onion,1 medium sized (finely chopped)
Turmeric Powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Tamarind, a small lemon ball size
Salt, to taste
How it is made?
- First take all the ingredients listed under 'to grind together' except coconut and roast them in oil and let them cool. Then along with coconut grind them into a smooth paste.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and peppercorns, Asafoetida and fry them till they sputter. Then add garlic and curry leaves and fry for few minutes.
- Then add onions and fry till they turn translucent. Then add the chopped tomatoes and turmeric and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Now add the ground paste to this and fry for another 2 minutes, then add the extracted tamarind juice, salt to taste and water to adjust the thickness, mix well and bring it to boil. Let it simmer for few minutes and turn off the heat.
- Serve it with rice.
It serves 4 persons.
- You can adjust the spice level as per your personal taste.
- Instead of Large onions, you can use pearl onions. You can substitute 8-10 pearl onions for one onion.
- I made this gravy with sesame oil. You can make it canola, sunflower oil or vegetable oil too.
- This is a thick, spicy gravy. It can be had with rice topped with sesame oil.