Today's recipe is a very simple dish, Bread upma. When you have left over bread and is bored of the usual toast, sandwich etc., you can make this bread upma - A quick stir fry. The best part is it is so easy to make, can be made in a jiffy.
What are the ingredients needed?
Bread slices, 7-8 nos.
Oil, 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Channa dhal/kadala paruppu, 1 tablespoon
Onions, 1 no (chopped)
Tomatoes(large), 1 no.(chopped)
Bell pepper/Capsicum, 1/2 (chopped)
Green chillies, 2-3 nos.
Garlic(crushed), 3-4 cloves
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Salt, to taste
Cilantro, to garnish
How it is made?
- Cut the bread into cubes. You can remove the crust if you want. I like to use it with crust.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add mustard seeds and when they crack, add channa dhal and fry for a minute.
- Then add crushed garlic, onions, bell peppers,green chillies and curry leaves and fry for 3-4 minutes till the onions turn slightly golden.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy and are cooked.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Now add the bread cubes and mix well and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve it warm.
- You can use any kind of bread. I used wheat bread.
- For variation you can add vegetables like carrot, beans, peas or any other veggies of your choice.
- You can fry the bread cubes before hand and then mix with tomato mixture. I didn't do it.