Today's recipe is a very simple dish, Bread upma. When you have left over bread and is bored of the usual toast, sandwich etc., you can make this bread upma. The best part is it is so easy to make, can be made in a jiffy.
What are the ingredients needed?
Bread slices, 7-8 nos.
Oil, 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Channa dhal/kadala paruppu, 1 tablespoon
Onions, 1 no (chopped)
Tomatoes(large), 1 no.(chopped)
Bell pepper/Capsicum, 1/2 (chopped)
Green chillies, 2-3 nos.
Garlic(crushed), 3-4 cloves
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Salt, to taste
Cilantro, to garnish
How it is made?
- Cut the bread into cubes. You can remove the crust if you want. I like to use it with crust.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add mustard seeds and when they crack, add channa dhal and fry for a minute.
- Then add crushed garlic, onions, bell peppers,green chillies and curry leaves and fry for 3-4 minutes till the onions turn slightly golden.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy and are cooked.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Now add the bread cubes and mix well and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve it warm.
- You can use any kind of bread. I used wheat bread.
- For variation you can add vegetables like carrot, beans, peas or any other veggies of your choice.
- You can fry the bread cubes before hand and then mix with tomato mixture. I didn't do it.