As you have noticed, I have been posting healthy muffin recipes for the past 2 days and today's post will be the final post of the series. It is Quinoa blueberry muffins. Quinoa is said to have lot of health benefits. This is the first time I have baked with quinoa. I wanted to make it sugarless so used agave nectar to sweeten it. Though appearance of the muffin was not so appealing, the taste was good and my kids enjoyed it. Even my Hubby was happy about the muffin as it has Quinoa and has no sugar. It is a healthy breakfast/ snack for kids.
What are the ingredients needed?
Uncooked quinoa, 1/2 cup
All purpose flour, 1 1/4 cup
Baking powder, 1 teaspoon
Baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon
Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
Low fat Yogurt, 1/2 cup
Oil, 1/4 cup
Vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon
Agave nectar, 1/2 cup
Egg, 1 no
Blueberries, 1 cup
How it is made?
- Cook Quinoa as per the package instructions and let it cool completely.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 F and prepare the muffin pan by greasing and dusting it with flour.
- In a bowl, combine all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix with cooked & cooled quinoa until they are mixed well and set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together yogurt, agave nectar, oil, vanilla extract and egg.
- Add this mixture little by little to the flour mixture and mix well. Finally fold in the blueberries.
- Pour this batter in to the prepared muffin pan and bake for 20-25 minute until its done.
- Let the muffin cool down for few minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
It yields about 16 muffins.
- Please make sure you rinse quinoa thoroughly before cooking otherwise it will taste bitter.
- This muffin is mildly sweet. I felt that it tastes better when cooled completely than when tasted warm.