Today's recipe is Curd Rice. Typical South Indian meal is never complete without curd rice. I often make this Curd rice. Thaara loves it so much. Whenever you ask her, what she wants to eat , her first choice will be "thayir mamma- chicken" , second choice will be "Thayir mamma- mutton" and third choice will be "thayir mamma- fish". So when I run out of options, I pack curd rice for her lunch and of course, she will finish it fully. Other days, the excuse will be she didn't have enough time.
Rice, 1/2 cup
Yogurt, 1 cup
Milk, 1/2 cup
Salt, as needed
Oil, 2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida, a pinch
Green chillies, 2-3 nos
Ginger, a small piece(about 2")- grated
Curry leaves, a sprig
Cilantro, a handful (to garnish)
How it is made?
- Pressure cook the rice with 1 1/2 cup of water.
- Once the pressure is released, mash the rice and let it cool.
- Then mix yogurt, milk and salt to this rice.
- In a pan, heat oil add mustard seeds, when they crack add the chillies, curry leaves, grated ginger, a pinch of asafoetida and fry for a minute or two.
- Add this tempering to the curd rice, mix well and serve.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Classic combination for the curd rice is pickle. It serves 2 - 3 persons.
- The ratio I use to cook rice for this is 1:3. For a cup of rice, 3 cup of water.
- For variations,you can add cucumber, raw mango and carrot too in the rice. Also can add fruits like grapes, pomegranate etc.,
- If needed, adjust the yogurt and milk to your taste.