Focaccia is one of the famous Italian bread. It is a simple and versatile bread. I was longing to bake this bread for quite sometime. I found the recipe here. It came out delicious that we finished it in one sitting. It had a perfect crispy crust and a soft interior. Hubby and kids ate just the bread while I made sandwich with it. This recipe is easy and perfect for a novice baker like me.
What are the ingredients needed?
All purpose Flour, 2 cups.
Active dry yeast, 1 packet
Sugar, 1 teaspoon
Warm Water, 1/3 cup
Olive Oil, 4 Tablespoons (approximately)
Salt, 1 teaspoon
Water, to knead
Coarse salt, to sprinkle on top
How it is made?
- In a bowl, dissolve sugar, yeast in warm water and set it aside until it is frothy. It takes around 10 minutes.
- In another large mixing bowl combine flour and salt. Then add this yeast mixture to it and mix with your hands.
- Then add water little by little till the dough comes together as a ball. Then keep kneading till the dough is smooth and pliable.
- Then apply oil to the mixing bowl and to the dough and let it rise till it doubles in size. It will take around 45 minutes.
- Deflate the dough and knead it briefly and pat this dough to the baking dish greased with olive oil. With fingers gently push the dough evenly on the dish.
- Cover it with kitchen towel and let it rise for another 30-40 minutes.
- Make dimples in the dough with finger tips slightly or use a fork to make indentations. Brush oil and sprinkle salt on top of the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 475 F.Bake the foccacia for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let it cool down completely before slicing it.
Serve it fresh. It tastes better when served fresh.
- For variations, you may add any toppings as per your preference.
- I used a 7 * 11 baking dish, to form a rectangular focaccia. The shape, size and thickness depends on your preference. I wanted to make sandwich so went for a thicker bread.
- Depending on the thickness of the bread oven timing varies. Adjust the oven timings accordingly.
Linking this is to Yeastspotting